Alaska Sea Grant Logo

Alaska Aquaculture Resources

Publications, presentations, videos, and helpful links for the aquaculture industry.
Title
Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning Fact Sheet
Category
General Information
Image
Author
Alaska Division of Public Health
Description
Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a serious illness caused by eating shellfish contaminated with dinoflagellate algae that produce harmful toxins. Some of these toxins are 1,000 times more potent than cyanide, and toxin levels contained in a single shellfish can be fatal to humans.
Document
Document Date
Last Updated by
Dave Zelenka
Last Updated on
2016-07-09
Background photo: Kenai Range from Katchemak Bay.
Photo credit: Wonderlane, Seattle, WA.